Go TO Content

Regional History and Development

Regional History and Development

Historical Trails

Guanmiao has stood witness to many historical events. It started off as a quiet rustic village during the reign of Prince Jheng of the Ming Dynas-ty as well as experienced brutal racial oppression during the Japanese occupation. After the Second World War, the region became famous for its rattan ware, an industry that also gradually faded away into obscurity. Guanmiao experienced the ebb and flow of time, providing an honest re-flection of major historical events.

The temples of Guanmiao District are closely associated with cultural developments. These temples not only represent the residents' religious beliefs, but have become an integral part of local history and experienc-es, becoming a symbol of the Guanmiao spirit.




1. Kingdom of the Jheng Clan


There were a number of settlements and villages in the Tainan County area during the early 17th century. In 1661, Prince Jheng Cheng-gong established Chengtian Fu (Chengtian Prefecture) in Taiwan that exer-cised jurisdiction over Tiansing County and Wannian County. In 1664, Prince Jheng Jing renamed the counties as Jhou. Guanmiao thus in-cluded the villages of Baoda, Sinfeng, and Chongde in Wannian Jhou. This was the first time that Guanmiao was placed under the jurisdiction of a government agency.




2. Cing Era


In the 24th year of Cing Emperor Kangsi, the Cing government estab-lished Taiwan Fu, which designated Fongshan, and Jhuluo (three coun-ties), and Guanmiao to be under the jurisdiction of Taiwan county.

In the 14th year of Cing Emperor Guangsu, Taiwan County was re-named as Anping County. The area of Guanmiao would include the 4 villages of Chongde Dong, Wai Sinfong, Baodong, and Yongfong.

Earlier in the 16th year of Cing Emperor Cianlong, Datanpi was known for its picturesque landscape and well-developed agriculture. Siangyang Chunru (spring mantle of paddy fields) was included as one of the 8 wonders of Taiwan. Datanbi was the heart of these lush paddy fields. The word Siang (香) refers to the aromatic scent of rice paddies, while the word Yang (洋) refers to the ocean-like expanse of the lush paddy fields, leading to the name of Siangyang.


3. Taiwan under Japanese rule

In 1895, the Cing government of China was forced to cede Taiwan to the Japanese. Stiff resistance in southern Taiwan led to the com-mencement of martial law. Guanmiao was then placed under the branch office of Tainan Civil Administration.

During the Meiji Era, the Japanese dissolved the county system and re-placed it with the Ting system. Guanmiao was regarded as a Jhihting (branch office) of Tainan Jhuo, and exercised jurisdiction over Wai Sin-fong Village, which included the areas around Guandimiao Street.

In 1920, the Cho system was again replaced by the Shu system. Guan-miao Sho (hamlet) was placed under Sinfeng Ken (county) of Tainan Shu (prefecture).


4. Post-World War II (after 1945)

At the end of the Second World War, Guanmiao was made into a town-ship under Sinfong District of Tainan County. This was the first time that Guanmiao was designated as a town.

In 1950, local autonomous administration was implemented. Large counties and districts were dissolved to smaller administrative units. Guanmiao Town thus came under direct jurisdiction of Tainan County and was responsible for 17 villages within its region.